Spring is just around the corner and that means it is time to clean your skylights. The winter months can take a heavy toll on your home’s skylights. Freezing rain, ice, snow, debris, and leaves all come in contact with your skylights during the colder months and the leftover appearance hinders your skylights to do their most important job; bring in the sun’s rays, warmth, and natural light.
Simple Steps To Clean Your Skylights
You can clean your own skylights by using these tools:
- Dish soap and lukewarm water
- Bucket or container
- Non-abrasive brush
- Glass Cleaner
- Paper towels or soft rag
Step by step instructions to clean your skylights:
- Step 1: Fill your bucket with warm water and a few drops of dish soap.
- Step 2: Gather all your materials and safely transport them to your roof or location of your skylight.
- Step 3: Remove any large debris, leaves, twigs from the foggy skylight.
- Step 4: Use the non-abrasive brush and soapy lukewarm water to scrub the skylight all over. Trouble spots may need extra effort.
- Step 5: Use the squeegee to remove the dirty water. Check for missed spots and problem areas. (Step 2 might need to be repeated at this point for thorough cleaning of extremely dirty skylights.)
- Step 6: Spray skylight with glass cleaner.
- Step 7: Wipe clean with paper towels or dry soft rag.
- Step 8: Repeat steps 6-7 as many times as needed to get a clean and clear surface.
- Make sure you have a sturdy footing on your roof or threshold.
- Take your time getting up and down.
- Bring your materials to the roof in batches. Don’t try to carry too much at one time.
Skylight Cleaning & Repair in Atlanta, GA
At Atlanta Skylight, we provide expert and trained skylight repair and skylight installation for homeowners and business owners throughout metro Atlanta, GA. Call us today for all of your skylight needs.