Skylights make beautiful additions to your home. They offer warm, bright light, scenic views, and a feeling of open air and sky while inside. But what happens when all of mother nature’s debris and grime settles in on top of your skylight resulting in a foggy appearance? That filthy film forms and now you are stuck looking up at a dark and cloudy barrier.
Regular skylight maintenance and skylight cleaning will help restore your foggy skylight and will rid the dirty build up. Cleaning your skylights will rid the dirty build up and restore the look and feel that you wanted in the first place. In addition, winter is a perfect time to clean your skylights as all of the trees have dropped their leaves and pollen.
To clean a foggy skylight, all you need is access to your roof and some simple household items. Follow these steps for how to clean a foggy skylight to transform it back to a crystal clear skylight.
Dos and Don’ts on How to Clean A Foggy Skylight
- Do: Keep safety at the top of your list and understand your working limits.
- Do: If you have more than one skylight, start at the top skylight and work down.
- Do: Make sure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions for safe handling and operation.
- Don’t: For best results, it is recommended that you do not clean your skylight during the hottest part of the day.
- Don’t: Do not use abrasive tools or materials, such as metal scrapers or blades, to clean the skylight glass. This can cause permanent scratches and damage to your skylight.
What You Need to Clean Your Foggy Skylight
- Dish soap and lukewarm water
- Bucket or container
- Non-abrasive brush
- Glass Cleaner
- Paper towels or soft rag
How to Clean Your Foggy Skylight
- Step 1: Fill your bucket with warm water and a few drops of dish soap.
- Step 2: Gather all your materials and safely transport them to your roof or location of your skylight.
- Step 3: Remove any large debris, leaves, twigs from the foggy skylight.
- Step 4: Use the non-abrasive brush and soapy lukewarm water to scrub the skylight all over. Trouble spots may need extra effort.
- Step 5: Use the squeegee to remove the dirty water. Check for missed spots and problem areas. (Step 2 might need to be repeated at this point for thorough cleaning of extremely dirty skylights.)
- Step 6: Spray skylight with glass cleaner.
- Step 7: Wipe clean with paper towels or dry soft rag.
- Step 8: Repeat steps 6-7 as many times as needed to get a clean and clear surface.
Keep in mind when cleaning your foggy skylight, the most important thing is safety.
Safety Tips for Cleaning Your Foggy Skylight
- Make sure you have sturdy footing on your roof or threshold.
- Take your time getting up and down.
- Bring your materials to the roof in batches. Don’t try to carry too much at one time.
Foggy Skylight Repair in Atlanta
At Atlanta Skylight, we provide expert and trained skylight repair and skylight installation for homeowners and business owners throughout metro Atlanta, GA. Call us today for all of your skylight needs.